This is an ongoing tally of response to the Let Patients Help talk at TEDx Maastricht, April 4, 2011. It went up on TED.com on June 29, got 50,000 views in the first 24 hours, and has since been traveling around the world.
In my last day job I worked in analytics (measuring Web traffic), so of course I’m going to track this baby.
Two things amaze (and please) me about the response.
- It’s gone viral. Less than seven weeks after it was posted on TED.com, it continued to get a thousand views a day. (This is not normal for TED videos.)
- In the Most Viewed rankings, of the 1,008 TED Talks of all time, it was #527 (Aug 11) #522 (Aug 12) #515 (Aug 13) #505 (Aug 18) #493 of 1016 (Sept 9) #483 of 1042 (Oct. 6). It made it into the top half in the first two months.
- It appears this has touched something a lot of people care about, because they’re sending it to friends, who forward it to their friends. That’s the definition of viral: spreading on its own, far beyond the originator’s reach.
- It’s gone global. Volunteers in the TED community can add subtitles, in whatever language they want. First someone added English, then Spanish … now here’s the list, approximately in chronological order:
- English: on.ted.com/Dave or on.ted.com/ePatientDave (The capital letters are important.)
- Spanish: Dave deBronkart: Les presento a e-Patient Dave by Francisco Gnecco, reviewed by Eduardo Sierra
- Romanian: Dave deBronkart: Faceţi cunoştinţă cu e-Pacientul Dave by Lucia Grosarul, reviewed by Ana M
- Portuguese (Brazil): Dave deBronkart: Conheça o Paciente Eletrónico Dave by Nadja Nathan, reviewed by Elena Crescia
- Dutch: Dave deBronkart: Hier is e-Patiënte Dave by Rik Delaet, reviewed by Christel Foncke
- Italian: Dave deBronkart: Vi Presento l’e-Patient Dave by Daniele Buratit, reviewed by Laura Leotta
- Persian (Farsi): دیوید دِبرونکارت: ملاقات با بیمار الکترونیکی دیو (e-Patient Dave) by soheila Jafari, reviewed by Mohammad Reza Minoosepehr
- French: Dave deBronkart: Voici Dave, e-patient by Elisabeth Buffard, reviewed by Gwénaëlle Buchet
- Korean: Dave deBronkart: e-환자, Dave를 소개합니다 by Jungsoo Kim, reviewed by Su Jeong Han
- Croatian: Dave deBronkart: Upoznajte e-pacijenta Davea by Vedrana Vučković, reviewed by Tilen Pigac – EFZG
- Swedish, Aug. 8: Träffa e-patienten Dave by Johan Cegrell, reviewed by Sara Riggare
- Hebrew, Aug. 10: דייב דיברונקארט: הכירו את החולה המתוקשב דייב by Edo Dotan, reviewed by Ido Dekkers
- Chinese (Traditional), Aug. 11: 戴維德博卡特：認識網e-病人戴維 by Vicky Chen, reviewed by Chien-Ping 洪健彬 Hung
- Chinese (Simplified), Aug. 12: Dave deBronkart: 认识e-病人Dave by Peng Zhang, reviewed by Felix Chen
- Russian, Aug. 12: Дэйв деБронкарт: Знакомьтесь, е-Пациент Дэйв by Yuliya Degtyaryova, reviewed by Jekaterina Pavliucenkova
- Polish, Aug. 12: Poznajcie e-Pacjenta Dave’a by Izabela Undrul, reviewed by Agata Leśnicka
- Portuguese (Portugal), Aug. 19: Dave deBronkart: Conheça o e-Paciente Dave by Isabel V. Belchior, reviewed by Joana Neto
- German, Sept. 9: Dave deBronkart: Lernen Sie e-Patient Dave kennen by Brigitte Federi, reviewed by Karin Friedli
- Bulgarian, Sept. 10: Дейв деБронкарт: Запознайте се с е-Пациент Дейв by Nikola Chernev, reviewed by Darina Starinova
- Greek, September: Aς γνωρίσουμε τον e-Patient Dave by Kathi Apostolidis, reviewed by Alexandros Tzaferidis
- Indonesian, September: Dave deBronkart: Jumpai e-Patient Dave by Antonius Yudi Sendjaja, reviewed by handarmin
- Japanese, September: デイブ・デブロンカート：e-患者・デイブにこんにちは。 by Lisa Akiyama, reviewed by Eriko Nagai
- Arabic, Oct. 14: داف دي برونكرت: إسم الشهرة المريض الالكتروني داف by Elkhair Abdalla, reviewed by Bob Samuel
- Turkish, ca. Oct. 30: Dave deBronkart: e-Hasta Dave ile Tanışın by Mustafa Ozkaynak, reviewed by Sancak Gülgen
- Czech, Nov. 4: Seznamte se, e-Pacient Dave by Filip Konig, reviewed by Michaela Jez
Whatever it is that people are responding to, it cuts across cultures. (North America, South America, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Scandinavia, Middle East, Asia…)
I’ll update the list as new languages are added. Thank you, especially to these volunteer translators and to anyone who’s passed it to friends.