Continuing this monthly series: here’s this month’s update on travels, new bookings, and writings.
Access to our families’ health records:
The time for action is coming
The best in healthcare of course depends on access to all useful information, but HHS has reported to Congress that certain parties are “knowingly interfering” with the flow of families’ health records. Two posts:
- Take action: We need a Federal policy change – perhaps even a law – so I wrote a call to action: Open a Big DaM Spigot – Data About Me! As the post says, “All change starts with people asking.”
- See the post for some simple immediate actions.
- Talk about it with friends, too – it’s getting to be “Paul Revere” time. Don’t wait til it’s your family member who’s in a crisis.
- Over on Medium, I commented on a post by entrepreneur Steve Kiernan about this issue, saying:
“Who out there wants to present an argument why families should be kept apart from their people’s health data? … Is there any ethical or moral argument for no spigots?”
- October 5, Toronto: Bayshore Healthcare 2015 Leadership Conference. Keynote speaker.
- October 7, online: HealthSparq webinar. Participant – details TBA.
- October 29: Connecticut Hospital Association’s annual meeting
- December 2, San Marcos: Texas Hospital Association annual meeting.
- MedCity News – a strong piece about the Data Spigot post (above) by Neil Versel.
- The Center for Public Integrity wrote an investigative piece about PCORI, the Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute, quoting me
- About the Hacking Healthcare event in the Netherlands where I was a judge last week:
- Drie dagen lang in een creatieve snelkookpan (“Three days in a creative pressure cooker”),
- August 30, Skipr (Dutch): Vermoeidheids-app wint health-hackathon REshape (“Fatigue app wins REshape health-hackathon”)
Upcoming travels (in case you want to visit):
- September 10: Hospital & Healthcare Association of Pennsylvania’s Patient Safety & Quality Symposium, Lancaster.
- September 11-19: Alaska! Multi-event speaking tour of Anchorage and Soldotna.
- September 23-27, Palo Alto: Medicine X. Speaker at Medical Education event.
Leave a Reply