I am really irritated. My hospital has told me they’re not supporting the federally required FHIR standard to let me access my health data. Is this legal??
Important update: a robust Twitter thread is drawing lots of answers on whether this is legal. Some of it is “gray area” but among other things:
- At present, even if their behavior is a violation, there’s no penalty!
- But by end of 2023, if they don’t have this, they might not get any more payments from Medicare(!)
- There are three separate requirements.
- System vendors are required (today) to offer this feature to their buyers (hospitals).
- Care providers (hospitals etc) aren’t required to buy them and offer them to patients (yet)
- But by end of 2023, providers will have to offer this to patients, if they want to get paid by CMS (Medicare)
Resuming the original post:[Read more…]